From The Nation

91485c463f82b11c456dd2256cb5acf3.jpeg

Breaking News July 23, 2017 14:19

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Immigration Bureau to decide whether to cancel the requirement for visitors to fill the 'TM6' arrival and departure form as part of measures to improve immigration procedure at airports, reduce waiting time and long queues.

A Cabinet resolution had allowed use of the old TM6 form with two separate sections for arrival and departure to be used until September 30. This followed a request from the Ministry of Tourism and Sport's to adjust the new form in order to help the ministry to get information for analysing and planning tourism marketing strategies. The new TM6 form will have only one section for the visitor to fill, with an “automatic channel” barcode for more convenience, and would be used from October 1.

http://www.nationmul...ngnews/30321551

They will decide to keep the TM6 as usual ....   most countries require an entry and exit type of card similar to the TM6,  it is also used for statistics.

No doubt some farang will still whinge and whine whatever Khun Prayuth pushes for. :coffee1:

2 hours ago, Timemaster said:

From The Nation

Breaking News July 23, 2017 14:19

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Immigration Bureau to decide whether to cancel the requirement for visitors to fill the 'TM6' arrival and departure form as part of measures to improve immigration procedure at airports, reduce waiting time and long queues.

A Cabinet resolution had allowed use of the old TM6 form with two separate sections for arrival and departure to be used until September 30. This followed a request from the Ministry of Tourism and Sport's to adjust the new form in order to help the ministry to get information for analysing and planning tourism marketing strategies. The new TM6 form will have only one section for the visitor to fill, with an “automatic channel” barcode for more convenience, and would be used from October 1.

http://www.nationmul...ngnews/30321551

If you want to discuss the new article do it here.

49 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

Just as much to fill in as currently.

So, again, the reportage doesn't match reality.

36 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Oh dear that screws my stach of pre filled in TM6 forms then. Back to scratch one

As I wrote that was the proposed TM6 and was posted along with updated TM forms for other uses.

What will actually be used is unknown at this time. 

To me the new one I posted is better since the departure portion is smaller and will be easier to keep in the passport.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote that was the proposed TM6 and was posted along with updated TM forms for other uses.

What will actually be used is unknown at this time. 

To me the new one I posted is better since the departure portion is smaller and will be easier to keep in the passport.

But it doesn't affect you!

Much less space to write in during flight and harder to tear?

9 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

But it doesn't affect you!

Much less space to write in during flight and harder to tear?

It could certainly affect me sometime.

I am not sure how big it is. Looking at the original page on the PDF file posted it appears the overall length may be about 9 inches. That makes me think that the arrival portion would be about 3 X 6 inches and the departure about 3 X 3. The tearing part would be the immigration officer's job.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

This is the proposed TM6 posted on the immigration website in January. 

TM6.jpg.96d4e1df24f2af885f9d6ece04d677cf.jpg

hmmm,i dont see much difference; we still will have to copy this thing for just about all immigration-related activities , right ? i sure hope the IOs realize that the really old ones, like mine, are every bit as valid

11 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

hmmm,i dont see much difference; we still will have to copy this thing for just about all immigration-related activities , right ? i sure hope the IOs realize that the really old ones, like mine, are every bit as valid

Mine is like the one I posted in 11 and indeed immigration is starting to give it a double take these days.  Especially so as arrival stamp is just about invisible on the back now (stamped over "Welcome to Thailand")

13 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

i sure hope the IOs realize that the really old ones, like mine, are every bit as valid

They have not complained or changed my old one. They have changed them since I got it.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

This is the proposed TM6 posted on the immigration website in January. 

TM6.jpg.96d4e1df24f2af885f9d6ece04d677cf.jpg

It looks like they borrowed heavily from the Japanese "embarkation/disembarkation" card.

I hope they replace the angled tear-off perforation with a more practical straight one.

Edited by wpcoe

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 7:55 AM, nasa123 said:

Malaysia was finish whit this stupid paper for over 2 year ago, no they us fingerprint and pictures, and you get 3 month visa stamp in your passport in the Immigration on the Airport.

And Immigration people smiling and tell you Welcom to Malaysia.

Thailand are 50 year back from the Neighboring country.

I don't see Europeans/Americans/Australians going to Malaysia instead of Thailand even if it is more convenient over there.

In fact they are avoiding it. 

Edited by EricTh

What are the advantages of having this new card?

One page instead of two pages.

A smaller departure card to clip to passport.

Anything else?

It doesn't seem to reduce the size of immigration queue though.

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

I don't see Europeans/Americans/Australians going to Malaysia instead of Thailand even if it is more convenient over there.

In fact they are avoiding it. 

EricThHo wright  Europeans/Americans/Australians going to Malaysia instead of Thailand ? Answer please.

What annoys me about the new form is that the writing on the departure section is pointless.

The section has a barcode so once scanned all the information on the arrival section should be immediately available to any immigration officer. And the departure flight number is provided to immigration by the airline. (OK, those departing by car/bus may need to write just that bit of information in by hand.)

So all that is really needed on the departure section is the barcode.

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

It doesn't seem to reduce the size of immigration queue though.

I do not think the new TM6 by itself will save any of the immigration officials' time. However, there is this:

an “automatic channel” barcode for more convenience, and would be used from October 1.

It is possible that routine arrivals might be able to scan their biometric passports and the new TM6 form. If the system allows, perhaps it then ejects the departure portion of the TM6 and allows you to pass without interaction with immigration officials. If the system indicates increased scrutiny is needed, you are then directed to an official. Do I think this will really happen? Frankly, no. I just cannot imagine an organization that cannot get a 90-day reporting system to work being able to implement anything that sophisticated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

I do not think the new TM6 by itself will save any of the immigration officials' time. However, there is this:

It is possible that routine arrivals might be able to scan their biometric passports and the new TM6 form. If the system allows, perhaps it then ejects the departure portion of the TM6 and allows you to pass without interaction with immigration officials. If the system indicates increased scrutiny is needed, you are then directed to an official. Do I think this will really happen? Frankly, no. I just cannot imagine an organization that cannot get a 90-day reporting system to work being able to implement anything that sophisticated.

Ideally, the arrival portion would be completed on one's phone.  Connection could be by the user's existing Internet connection, or via wifi that allows a connection only to the airport's TM-6 website.  Completing the form, you get a QR/Bar code displayed on your phone.  A few computer-terminals could also be available with a little thermal printers that print the code. 

So, one would enter Thailand by scanning Passport, then Visa or re-entry permit barcode (if any), then TM-6 qr/bar code.  The departure slip would be printed at that point, and the entry-gate allows one to pass (opens after you take the slip).

If entry is rejected, the entry-gate would remain closed.  If at an airport, it would print a ticket that gives you access to "transit" to departures.  In both cases, that ticket may be used to talk to a human and/or initiate an appeal.  Private businesses would be encouraged to provide lodging in no-man's land (airport or land-border) for those awaiting outgoing flights or appeals.

21 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Ideally, the arrival portion would be completed on one's phone.  Connection could be by the user's existing Internet connection, or via wifi that allows a connection only to the airport's TM-6 website.  Completing the form, you get a QR/Bar code displayed on your phone.  A few computer-terminals could also be available with a little thermal printers that print the code. 

So, one would enter Thailand by scanning Passport, then Visa or re-entry permit barcode (if any), then TM-6 qr/bar code.  The departure slip would be printed at that point, and the entry-gate allows one to pass (opens after you take the slip).

If entry is rejected, the entry-gate would remain closed.  If at an airport, it would print a ticket that gives you access to "transit" to departures.  In both cases, that ticket may be used to talk to a human and/or initiate an appeal.  Private businesses would be encouraged to provide lodging in no-man's land (airport or land-border) for those awaiting outgoing flights or appeals.

Lol they cant sort out 90 day reports on line there is no chance of this.

As i understand it anyway its only consultation and even when and if they do decide it will have little or no effect on us apart from the longer queues whiĺst immigration officers get used to the new form/system.

48 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Lol they cant sort out 90 day reports on line there is no chance of this.

As i understand it anyway its only consultation and even when and if they do decide it will have little or no effect on us apart from the longer queues whiĺst immigration officers get used to the new form/system.

I forgot the obligatory entry-photo - could even do facial-recognition to match with passport.  The whole thing would be dirt-cheap to set-up, aside from the exit-gate, which could be substituted for a guy whose training consists of, "green light, let them in - red-light, don't let them in." 

Granted, the company with "connections" that gets the contract would charge a pile of money, put 97% of it in their pockets, then pay some company like mine the software-portion of the remaining 3% to actually do the work.

• 1 month later...

For people with have their residence in Thailand this new TM6 is a step backwards.

The old TM 6 back side was only required for non residence persons.

This difference is not there anymore on the new TM6.

Do i leave the applicable sections (Occupation, Length of stay, Purpose of visit) blank?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

This one posted in an announcement done by immigration on September 19th says non Thai resident only.

It actually says " For non-Thai resident only", which to a pernickety literal-minded so-and-so like myself means for residents who are not Thai, but all the little tick-boxes indicate that it is for visitors. It would be better if it just said "For non-residents only".

I wonder if anyone ever ticks the "No income" box...

Edited by Eff1n2ret
  • Like 1

I for one have never filled out this information on a TM6 and I know lots of people that consider themselves 'resident here' that do not either.

My impression was that this info was just used as data gathering for TAT or similar to have an idea of the demographics of the average tourist entering Thailand.